Thursday, October 27, 2011

Games: Desert Moon

Day 1
[Excerpt from Post-Incident Report]
"There were no firearms.  We're salvagers... engineers.  Not soldiers.  You couldn't even see anything out of that escape suit.  But something was killing us, eating us.  We had to fight back.  The wreckage was full of components, components [that] we put together... and we fought back."

So begins one of my favorite new Flash games of this last year: Desert Moon.  It's well-designed, fast-moving, and has well-chosen music and sound effects.  This is sort of a science fiction combination of shooter and tower defense.  Place defenders with different weapons types in front of half of your crashed spaceship, facing increasing hordes of aliens of different types... and the re-animated corpses of your friends from the separated other half of your ship.

I enjoy games that, once you've picked up the mechanics of it, aren't too hard to master.  It seems I'm not the only one, because I've found a lot of Flash games are that way.  As I've said before, I hardly possess mad skillz, but I've finished all five "days" at all three skill levels with top marks.  For some people, mastering it takes all the fun out of the game.  For me, it makes it something relaxing to come back to now and again.  If you can call being besieged by aliens and zombies relaxing.

(click here to get to the game)

No comments: