Monday, October 3, 2011

Games: Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64) Part 11

I'm still trying to find out if there's any way for me to continue to post larger videos on YouTube with their new system, so Undersea Kingdom is waiting for that.  In the meantime, here's something that came in at a perfectly uploadable 1.97GB.


Time to get down and dirty with my playthrough of the classic Nintendo 64 game Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire as we make our way through the sewers of Imperial City.  There are only two more levels after this, so yes, this is coming to an end someday.



Notes:

0:21 You can, of course, also walk the path, but this is much faster.  And if you're lucky, you can get away without damage from the flying droid you can briefly see at 0:25.

2:10 You can barely see it at this distance, but I'm shooting at a Dianoga.  I'll shoot another one underwater in a moment.  You'll get to see them better later.

3:23 Honest to God, it's much, much more difficult to shoot these droids than it looks like it should be.  The auto-targeting is pretty much useless on them, for some reason.

4:26 I can't tell you how many times I've found myself stumbling around this dark room, trying to find the exit.  This time, I got off easy.

4:59 The laser cannons and droids in here are easier to avoid than they are to shoot.  You take a lot less damage this way, believe me.

5:13 Whoops, pressed the wrong button, there.

6:28 Now you can see a Dianoga a little better.

7:50 All of this fuss is about one of the flying droids.  They can see you easier than you can see them.  And they can shoot you much, much easier than you can, them.  Honestly, if I came out into the open, it would be cheap hit after cheap hit.  I see an explosion at one point, but I'm not certain I got him, hence all the extra shooting.

10:52 Now I'm not entirely certain the disruptor shot got both Xizor troopers who are up there.  It's important not to take cheap hits at this point, so you go into the boss battle with as much health as possible.

12:13 It's also important not to get smacked by the damn blades, but you can't have everything.

12:49 And now, the mother of all Dianogas!  It took me quite a while to find the best way to do this.  As you can see, I'm keeping low, and shooting up.  The thing is to destroy the eye.  If you stick around up top, the tentacles (which grow back, by the way) will pound the hell out of you all through the process, as opposed to just when the eye is destroyed.  When keeping low, be sure not to touch the Dianoga's mouth.

No comments: