Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Classic Serials: Undersea Kingdom (Faster-Paced Version), Chapter Seven

(originally posted December 13, 2008)

It's Chapter Seven of our presentation of Undersea Kingdom, where we take advantage of YouTube's ten-minute video limit to give you only the meat of the 1936 Republic chapterplay, without all the serial fillers (*groan*).

I've got to admit... at least once a week, during the editing process, I have to repeat to myself a gag from Mystery Science Theater 3000:

Unga Khan, lemme rock you Unga Khan,
Lemme rock you, that's all I wanna do...

Maybe I'm dating myself.



Editing was a pretty quick process this week. The bulk of the excised footage was a sequence in which the Black Robes fruitlessly and tediously pursue Crash, Billy, and Moloch on their way back to the Holy City.

Speaking of tedious sequences, I cut out a lot of Crash running back and forth between the submarine and the chariot, and a couple of shots inside the sub, using the wipes they're so fond of in this serial.

And speaking of wipes, I finally figured out how to make the edges soft, like the ones the original editors used.

No comments: